Friday, January 20, 2006

One of my Favorites, Cinque Terre

I might have to continue this post thing to all of my aunties and family when I get back to SF. Granted my life wont be quite as interesting as here but at least we can all talk. I will have to make a new blog, call it °Life after Europe° I am sure you will all tune in. ha.

Today we were supposed to wake up and lug all of our stuff to Cinqueterra. We woke up to the sounds of construction. Lots of men talking and hammers. Sounds more like bombs when you are awaken out of a dead sleep. Anyhow, laid there for awhile, then thought about just hanging out in Florence. Then I came up with the bright idea for a day trip. It was almost 11:30 by the time the train came. Thought it would only take an hour to get there. Turns out the train ride to La Spezia took three. Yeah I didnt have a book either. I spent the entire ride looking out of the train, enjoying the countryside, thinking about the lives of Italians and how much richer, simpler they are. Once I am done with school, I shall slow down maybe and enjoy life. Drink a Caffe Latte, which I have come to appreciate. Hope they taste somewhat the same back in the states. I will have to cut out all the pastrys, although Annaliese knows where to get some fabulous Panetonne (This wonderful bread that is baked upside down and only made in Italy).

Back to Cinque Terre. So the countryside was beautiful. There were about a million and a half stops inbetween Florence and La Spezia. I thought the trip would never end. Got to La Spezia and had to take yet another train the Cinque Terre, where all of you should visit at least once in your lives. It was soooooo beautiful. There are five little tiny cities, more like villages built into the cliffside right on the ocean. Beautiful. Walked inbetween Riomaggiore and Manarola. Would have kept walking but the walk between Manarola and Corniglia was closed. So we made the decision to hang out in Manarola, take pictures, and enjoy ourselves, watch the sunset instead of being on the train again and not enjoying the weather which was perfect. not a cloud in the sky. The ocean water seemed to be bluer than Capri. it was colder too. I made sure to put my hand in. I want to go back there and scuba dive cause it is a protected marine park. Bet it is beautiful under water. The cliffs are huge, full of gray rock that has been chiseled by the wind creating vertical grooves. It made the most beautiful patterns. I loved Cinque Terre. Would have loved to see all the cities but now i have something to come back to.

We sat outside and enjoyed a caffe latte and the worst three euro chocolate creme cake I have ever had. Watched the sun set. Then we packed ourselves up and go on the train to come back home. Since this time it was dark, Annaliese came up with the brilliant idea to rip her book in half and let me start reading it. In Her SHoes, It is now a movie with Cameron Diaz. Luckily I havent seen the movie. The book is pretty good. I have already cried. ha. I am such a softy.

Now we are back in Florence where I was given the tourist rate on the tiniest cup of gelatto tonight. It wasnt that great either. Didnt compare to the other night. Tomorrow will be a better day for gelatto though. We are going to roam around Florence, hitting the leather mart once more to pick up some last minute things. And the rest of Florence to just enjoy it. Have to catch an evening train to Milan to catch our overnight train to Paris. I will be sad to leave Italy. i have grown acustom to their wonderful leisurely days and amazing gelatto. Tried again another place today that looked like they had decent cremas. I was so wrong. Not even worth the calories. Wont be returning there. We might go to Siena if we get inspired. I think we are a little trained out after todays mission that we werent prepared for.

I cant believe this trip is almost over. Annaliese and I were discussing how we are enjoying ourselves and each other more and more as the trip comes to an end. Dont want to start school. Pysch nursing and community health sounds like way less fun than traveling Italy and Paris. It will put me one step closer to being able to afford another trip like this as a nurse though. So back to school it is. But for now I will enjoy these last few precious days in two countries that have provided me with so many fond memories, tastes and sounds. I love it here.

Love you all. Please come visit me soon when I get home. I will have so many pictures and more stories to share. I love you. Kim

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i knew it was going to be marvelous. hope you threw some coins in the trevi fountain to assure you'll go back. and sounds like the weather has cooperated. glad you're enjoying the nature and the countryside, getting to see more than the asphalt. museums are great, but must be mixed with greenery and wildlife.
next leg: read your guidebook about versailles - if you only have two days you might not want to spend one of them there. so much to see in paris. wish i was with you. arrivaderci, roma.

11:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kimmy

I had to read three stories to catch up - have been traveling on business. I can't believe the trip is almost over and can't wait to hear about your travels in person while looking through your photos. Have a great last few days, and we hope to see you soon. We will toast you at the family dinner this weekend.
love cindy

12:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kim,
sad to think your trip is almost over, but what a great experience you have had, you will now be so hungry for more. Don't listen to la tia, Versailles is worth the trip, maybe she didn't like what she saw in the Wall of Mirrors....oh that was a slam, sorry la tia#1,but mama#1 rules, jk it's all good whatever you decide to go and see. Can't wait to see you, your dad and I will be on our way up to see you after work on Friday, maybe I will get out around 3 so we ca be there by 10ish. see you soon, Ciao, love mom

5:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oops, Kim I just posted a comment on your rome paragraph, but i'll telkl you i love you on this one... miss you dearly... now more than ever. Jenn

7:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Buona mattina più cara, I just got an Internet connection. Larry and I are in Las Vegas for golf and football playoffs. You've had a great trip and there will more in the future, I just have this feeling. You are right, this is a great way to connect all of your loved ones into one thread, keep it up. Be safe and we will see you next week.

9:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home