Grotto Azzura, better than the painting in the resturant in Moorpark
Once again, exhausted I sit down to find another place to stay for tomorrow night and then tell you all about my day. So As much as I would love to go on for hours about my day, it may be very short. I am tired and it is almost 12 at night here.
Last night we made our own pasta, pretty darn good, in fact did it again tonight. Since almost the entire town is shut down as far as resturants we didnt have much of a choice. It is funny because when you ask for un buon ristorante apierto (a good resturant that is open) they all point to these resturants that are closed for the season. I guess they all eat at home cause they dont know their resturants.
We slept with a space heater on cause it was pretty cold last night. It was raining really hard last night too so we were kinda bummed on Sorrento. Even thought about getting up and leaving since Capri would be wet and no Grotto. But.....lucky us cause when we woke up it was all sunshine. Ate breakfast that Niccolo our host prepared. This consisted of rolls, this great stuff called pannetone (fabulous, I could eat so much of it) jam and juice. He also prepared coffee or tea to our liking. Set out on the bus for Sorrento, we are not centrally located as the website said but there is charm in this old place. It is beautiful here. I would love to come back in the summer. I bet this place is hopping. It is kinda like Catalina only 20 times better. The water is aquamarine blue and you can see to the bottom. Went to the Porto and had a pastry while we waited for our hydrofoil boat. That thing moves. We had called all morning about The grotto to see if it was open and they kept telling us to call back and that it wasnt open. Everyone kept saying it will be closed, it hasnt been open all week. When I called right before we were to get on the boat to Capri they said it was open at 11 but you wont make it in time.
But.....WE DID !!!!!! We got to go to Grotto Azzura today. It was amazing. The most piercing beautiful brilliant blue light shines in and illuminates the water. No glass boats dad, they werent out. But i did get into a tiny tiny row boat and duck as we went into a hole that is probably no more than two and a half to three feet tall. I would love to say more but I need to go to bed. Amazing. We were so so so lucky to get to see it in the winter. I guess in the summer it can take up to 2-3 hours to get onto the little rowboats once you are close to the grotto. It took us five min. Awsome. We paid a pretty penny to get out there and another one to get in to the grotto. Tourist trap but so worth it. I think Capri transport and grotto ended up costing 40 euro. Good pictures and awsome pizza Capris. and mmmmm torta Caprese. A roman local recommened that to us. so good.
Walked around to the little shops and bought the cutest ceramic christmas ornament. Hope it makes it home. All in all, Sorrento and Capri turned out to be well worth the while. We were told that the train in that we took from naples to Sorrento was on strike so we would have to take a hydrofoil to naples and then a taxi or walk the dirty streets of naples and get robbed. ha. Luckily there is no strike tomorrow and we will be able to get back to naples and then on a train back to florence where I will hopefully find a pair of boots and a beautiful black leather purse. No espidrilles on Capri. Everything was closed. Bummer. I have been waiting for months to get those things. Alright now i am quite tired.
Staying at residenza millennium tomorrow on Via Delgi Orti Oricellari, 31, Firenze, Tuscana, Italia.
Phone there is +039 055 215254 Dont know if you can actually call me though. Plan on day trips to lucca, siena and cinqueterra. Then mabye to Venice for more CREMAS mmmmmmm I wish I could bring them home for you all.
Ok I love you all and miss you. Cant wait to be home and see everyone but I dont want this trip to end. mmmmuuuwwwahhh

3 Comments:
how can you stand all this fun you're having?
all the latest articles say cinqueterre is the place to go. watched it on tv recently and would love to see all of the cute little towns connected by the train.
watch for those tourist traps - tell them they have to give you the off season discount.
you'll have to find espadrilles in tijuana. oh well.
back to venice? and then there's more paris. ooh, i'm so jealous. love, your aunt.
Hey Kim Kim! I'm glad you are having fun. I miss you like puppies and candycanes. You be careful and don't be spending the night with any boys,you here me. That is an order from your big sis! N-E-WAYS I love you so much! Can't wait to hear about your next adventure, catch up with you in Neverland! Jen
Ok, now I am really jealous! Cinqueterre------I want to see that place, don't take the train between the towns, walk at least between two of them, they say it is awesome!!!!
What a great trip!
Love ya, Aunt Janet
Post a Comment
<< Home