Sunday, January 15, 2006

Please Ignore All Grammar and Run On Sentances

So I started reading my post from yesterday. Wow. Sorry my grammar and sentance structure is awful. I guess I really was exhausted, kinda like I am now. Each day I become more and more tired. I will need a vacation from this vacation. It didn't rain today, which I was thrilled about. I have decided I don't like weekends for two reasons. One, all of the streets and sites are too busy. Two, no one posts to my blog. ha. I added pictures as you can see. I will try adding more tonight but I am pretty tired.

Today I went to visit my Dad's old stomping ground of Via di Filomarino. Took a lot of pictures. We took the metro and then a taxi to get there. (by the way, I think i have seen at least eight of my future husbands on the metro, so if I don't come home you can blame the Roman metro, hahaha just kidding) I would have liked to walk but taking a taxi saved a lot of the day. So while the taxi waited (we were a bit away from the metro station) I took pictures of the street he used to run down as a boy. I was running too so I could see everything, looking for the house, the park and the resturant. I started to cry as I ran down the street thinking this was the same place my father was so many years ago. I couldn't find the resturant but couldn't really look as much as I had wanted to. I went over to the park, Villa Ada and took some pictures. It was beautiful there. The street had a lot of graffitti on it. I am sure it was not that way when my dad lived there. I asked the cabbie if this was a good area and he said oh yes, it is a very good area. Many important people live over here. So it was a great experiance to go and see that. I only wish I could have been there longer. So I could soak it all in. When I visit Rome again I will come back to this street and find the resturant.

I have decided that the next time I visit Europe I don't want to bring a camera. That way I am not looking through a lense the entire time. i am actually enjoying it all. We went back to the Vatican today so we could look at the Basilica more and Annaliese needed to get a few more things. I didn't take a lot of pictures and I was able to look more closely at things. I was happy that we once again were able to see The Pieta. The original is behind bulletproof glass cause some psycho in 1973 or something went all crazy and took a hammer to it. Luckily they had a copy of it already made and they were able to repair it. I was amazed at the massive statues that are placed high above us in the basilica. I am actually amazed with the entire structure itself. I do not see how something so massive and so old could still be structually sound. Or how they were even able to build such a place and lift or carve such heavy pieces of Stone. It is just amazing. That is all I can say.

After the Vatican we went shopping. I bought myself a snazzy peacoat that looked fabulous with an amazing pair of riding boots. Too bad they didn't have my size. So I only left with the coat. These boots were soooooo cute though. I am still really sad about it. I am going to search on the internet for them. Shopping is such a different experiance here in Europe. In some stores you share a dressing room with a bunch of other women. And because I speak very little Italian, getting what you need is much more difficult but still fun in the end.

We also went to Trevi Fountain where I once again enjoyed half of my favorite flavor of gelatto. I had Canella, which is cinnamon gelatto. It is amazing. I actually really want Crema di Riso (Rice) and Canella mixed but no such luck. But canella alone is good enough. In fact it is heavenly. Our friends Cooper and John poked fun at me because I had described my gelatto in such terms. Limone tasted like Disneyland, I am sure you have all had a lemon ice thingy. They are from New Mexico, mabye they have never enjoyed such a pleasure. ha. Then my Fragola (Strawberry) tasted like "heaven". So back to present day now. We sat by the fountain and enjoyed our little cup/cone of delight. I had the cup, I don't really like cones. After that we went back to visit the cutest store, Vinovip which sells all sorts of Italian foods. Got some great stuff. So excited.

Went to dinner while our Laundry was going. That was nice. We shared Chataeubriand, which is a beautiful steak with potatos and tomatos. I hope I spelled those two veggies correctly. I haven't really cared about spelling or grammar this entire blog. I am educated, I promise. I just figure you all would rather me spend my time telling you what I am doing, rather than spelling checking or proofreading. I don't know that I have actually even read a full past blog. You are reading raw notes of Kim. Quite a rarity until now. (possibly another mistake, Curran if you are reading this, I am sorry, I know you were an english teacher haha)

Anyhow, dinner was great. Another wonderful bottle of house wine and really good sorbet at the end. Next we make our plans for Sorrento and Capri. Hope tomorrow and the next day are sunny down there. Today was a laxed day and i think i needed it. I would have loved to go see more stuff today but I am just exhausted.

I love you all. Please keep posting and emailing. For the people whose addresses I have, you should recieve a postcard in maybe a month if Italian mail goes well. haha. Please send your addresses and I will send a postcard. I think i have spent all my money one postcards alone, so there is one with your name on it.
Talk to you in Sorrento. Ciao.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kim:
The heck with the grammar the sights you are describing are so amazing to read. It sure makes you want to hop the next plane and see what you are seeing. You are a girl after my own heart. you know how much I love Strawberry anything. Have one for me.
Love
Mary Ann & Herbie too

2:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kim,
Really enjoying your adventures. Look forward to reading them everyday. Keep them coming, but most of all ENJOY!!!!!
Love ya,
Aunt Janet

4:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

your reports are getting better and better. love the pics too, but were you sober while creating that description of the vatican? just kidding.
you're right about the weekend. sandy and mike are here for a meeting and we went to the desert. missed the rain and the good dinner w/your parents, but will see them tonight.
love you. don't be catching any gypsy babies, and watch for groping future husbands. ciao, bella. ts & gf

4:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello girls, sounds like its time to take a day off and recharge the sightseeing batteries. I was happy to hear that you made it over to the old apartment, maybe the restaurant is long gone. We look forward to your adventures, but take some rest and relaxation from your vacation and enjoy the day. We love you and can't wait to see you soon. Love Mom and Dad

5:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kim
sorry I didn't write over the weekend, but you know how things get at our house. I have been waiting anxiously to hear your stories of the Vatican and it sounds so amazing, can't wait to see it for myself. One of my dreams. However, the shopping sounds pretty good too !! - ha ha
Keep em coming. Love you and can't believe how much ground you have covered in this short time. Love cindy

8:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Morning Kim,
/we are at Megans still, we are taking her to bf then heading home. We had dinner last nite with your Aunt Tamie and Sandi and Uncle Mike, and Megan too. We laughed alot, your Aunt Sandi had free tickets for wine from her hotel and you know she used them up, then had to be social at dinner and had another glass...to say the least she was in rare form. We ate a a brewery..Gordon Biersch, pizza an beer was good. Glad you took a rest yesterday, you do not want to get sick, drink some orange juice and stay healthy, ok gotta get running, have a great day today,I hope you make it to capri, and if you do take pictures for 10 minutes then put your camera away and enjoy the day, ciao bella, amor Mom

9:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home