Au Revoir to Paris
Hello all.
So we leave for Venice tonight. By tomorrow I will be able to tell you all about the train ride. Hopefully everything goes smoothly. I am excited for Venice but I don't want to leave Paris. I loved it here. Luckily we will be returning here before our trip comes to an end.
We had quite a day yesterday. Started out a little late(I have never slept so poorly, their pillows were like rocks), its beginning to look like a trend with us. Can we still blame it on jetlag? Anyhow we got our daily croissant and baugetter along with some fruit from the open markets. Such good croissants. Then we set out walking to Notre Dame. We did get a little lost which also seems to be a trend with us but finally made it. But we thought we were in Saint Chappelle when we actually were in Notre Dame. ha. Anyhow we took some great pics outside and then went in to see the beauty she is. While inside we met two boys our age from New Mexico. They will be in Florence and Rome when we are so it should be a good time. We walked around Notre Dame and then we climbed the spires to the Towers where the Gargolyes and Bell tower are. Oh my. What a view. I have the coolest pictures. Too bad I am not internet savy or I would post them all for you. I can't wait to show you all my pictures. It was amazing inside the church. There is a bunch of candles that are always burning in prayer for the bronze Jesus statue that hangs on the wall. It was moving to feel the warmth of prayer as you moved around it. Many times already on this trip I have been brought to tears by the beauty and splendor that Paris has to offer.
After climbing the zillion stairs to the bell tower we gave our lungs a rest at a cafe right around the corner from Notre Dame. The boys, Cooper and John, Annaliese and myself all shared a Croque Monsieur, crepes with nutella, yum and fries (I guess they are not french fries because we are in France). Actually they call them Frittes. I had the most delicious Hot chocolate of my life called Chocolat Viennious or something like that. Anyways if you get the chance try one. So after a wonderful lunch and exchanging info with our new friends (Don't worry, no pashing yet) Annaliese and I said our goodbyes with the traditional French greeting, two kisses on the cheek. Funny that I have been in Paris for three days and my first "French Greeting" comes from two Americans. After our goodbyes Annaliese and I got moving to the Louvre. How amazing was that. So um yeah I have decided it would take years to truly appreciate all that the Louvre has to offer. Luckily there were no lines and we walked right in. Grabbed some headphones and got Jammin. (Headphones to listen to blurbs on the art, we weren't rocking out). Saw the MONA LISA. AMAZING!!! Brought me to tears as I stood there in awe. It is something you hear so much about and then to see it. I can't even explain it. You all need to come here. I am sure there is so much more to tell you about the Louvre but it has been a day past that and we have done so many other things. I am sure my pictures will trigger some memories. Plus you don't want to be reading forever do you?
Tour Eiffel= Huge
So before seeing this huge piece of metal we learned about it in my Paris book. Apparently it was really built for no reason except for to represent the Youth of the Revolution, at least that is what I remember from my reading. The Tour (Tower) (I am using my french as much as possible) is so big. It sparkles every hour on the hour and lights up so bright. Don't worry I have a million pictures. We took the lift up cause the stairs were closed and looked at the city views. By the way do not walk up to a french person and start speaking english. You have to say Parlez-vous anglais? or they just pretend not to understand you even though they really do. This happened at the top of the tower. Got some nasty looks but at least they weren't concerned with my shoes. I called my mom from the tower. It was the perfect place to check in. Good reception too. Sorry I am not as detailed. This all happened yesterday and my mind is a little fried. We were supposed to meet the Aussies to go out but we didn't get back from the Eiffel Tower till 12 at night. Then we had to book our Venice hostel for tomorrow night. Went to bed at 2am. Luckily got a better night of sleep.
Okay so I will make today's section quick. Woke up at 9:30 late again and got moving. Had a shower that consisted of a trickle of water and then went for what, yeah you guessed, another croissant. Today is Sat. here and Annaliese and I have decided that they make them especially good on weekends. There were so many more people out today and they were so cute buying their supplies for the week. Got lost again, whats new? But luckily ended up where we wanted, at the Musee d' Orsay which is in an old train station. Let me just say I would fly back to Paris for this museum alone. It was the most amazing experiance to walk up to Van Gogh's Self Portrait, Leglise de Auvers ( which he completed one month before commiting suicide) and the painting of his room. To see those vibrant colors in person brought me again to tears. (all I can say is that I wish each and everyone of you was here to share this with me, I will come back if you ask me to) I sawe Monets, Reniors, Degas, DelaCriox and Whistler. It was more than Amazing. It so far has been the highlight of my trip. We also got headphones here which I highly recommend to all. I just can't stop thinking about how awsome that place was. Super cheap to get in too. Only 7.5 Euros. I would have paid so much more. I took so many pictures too. Yeah.
After the musee we went on a hunt for another memory card. Buy them in the states if you can. And come prepared with the ability to take a massive amount of pictures. I spent 95 Euro on a 1GB card. My Pictures will be worth it though. I am so excited to just look at them again on the train tonight. And I will finally have a chance to write in my journal again. The last time was on the plane but we have been so busy and so tired. We leave soon. I will try to blog again tomorrow after a day in Venice. We have a hostel booked there with a Signore Marco. Should be fun. Most expensive one yet but right in the center of town. All right wish me luck. 15 hours of train ride coming up.
This already has been so much fun and we have been meeting so many fun people. I have decided I am not coming home. Okay so maybe I will at least finish nursing school. ha. Love you all.
Kim

6 Comments:
your super account of your sights and experiences gives me goosebumps, reliving my own experiences, a la proust's madeleines. we are so, so happy for you, and thrilled that you are so excited about it all. your dad's right - you're quite the good writer.
hope you continue to have soul-popping discoveries. love you, stay safe. your aunties
My advice: DON'T buy any souveniers. You spend way too much time shopping for them when you could be enjoying the sights and sounds of the place you're visiting, they're way too expensive and no one will really appreciate them as much as you might think they would.
While visiting Venice, see if you can take a day trip to one or more of the islands nearby. I haven't done that but I'm told it's well worth it. And ah, the food!
XXOXX, GF (& TS)
Big Daddy sez: We got the goosebumps too from your accounts of Paris. But we Hope you are staying hydrated, as you are being brought to tears so much. (Joking)We can understand though, Terri, until she went to Paris, said she had no use for Europe; after coming up out the subway when she arrived, called me and said "you have to come here, it is so beautiful".
My parents and I spent 3 weeks in Ischia (on the way to Capri)many years ago I don't know if you will have time to see it, but it is beautiful. We are in Salt Lake City with one of your mom's friends from school to ski. Let me know when you are going to Rome. We love you and look forward to your blog. Enjoy your time and we are missing you each day.
Love Mom and Dad
Hi sweetie: I thoroughly enjoy reading your stories each time I log on - and truly appreciate you taking the time to share with all of us. continue on with the adventure and know we are all here thinking of you and so so so happy for you and the amazing time you are having.. All is well and happy in Aptos - love Cindy
wow,
I am so jelous. but your exceptional descriptions make me feel like i am there with you. I hope you are enjoying every waking moment.
Don't miss a single oppertunity while you are there, the only thing worse than not going is not experiencing.
love-kev
The information here is great. I will invite my friends here.
Thanks
Post a Comment
<< Home